Food safety is a global issue as contaminated food causes widespread
health problems with serious implications for families as well as public
healthcare systems. It also causes reduced workforce productivity. Both
developed and developing countries share concerns over food safety as
international food trade and cross-border movements of people increase.
There is an urgent need to put in place sound FSMS through building
reliable, safe food supply chains. The situation of food safety in many
developing countries of the Asia-Pacific region, however, is not up to
the mark. This is attributed to a lack of awareness of its socioeconomic
significance and lack of understanding of basic concepts, tools, and
techniques of food safety good agricultural practices (GAP), such as
good hygiene practices (GHP), good manufacturing practices (GMP), and
hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP). The limited pool of
trainers and experts providing training and consultancy in this field,
and high cost of implementing the requirements relating to food safety,
especially for SMEs, are also among the major challenges.
This course is being organized to train a critical mass of
individuals in APO member countries in acquiring and applying basic
knowledge of FSMS.
– There are 9 modules in this course. Please start with Module 1 and complete each module in order.
– The recommended timeline to complete each module is:
Days 1-3: Module 1+ Quiz 1
Days 4-8: Module 2+ Quiz 2
Days 9–11: Module 3+ Quiz 3
Days 12–16: Module 4 + Quiz 4
Days 17–19: Module 5+ Quiz 5
Days 20–25: Module 6 + Quiz 6
Day 26-29: Module 7 + Module 7
Day 26-29: Module 8 + Module 8
Day 30: Module 9: Exam
– To confirm your understanding, 3 quizzes are provided. Please
answer the questions and check your score for self-evaluation. Please
note that the quiz scores have no connection with the final exam
– It is recommended that you proceed to the next module only after satisfactory completion of the preceding module.– After completing all modules, each participant should take the final
exam. Remember that you are only allowed to take the final exam once.
Please ensure that you have thoroughly understood all modules before
taking the final exam.
1. Participants who register to take this course and pass the final
examination with a score of 70% or higher will be eligible to receive
the APO certificate. Please note that the final examination can be taken
only once. Therefore, you decide when you choose to take the
examination. Please note that the self-assessment quizzes are for your
own evaluation and have no connection with the final examination
2. Participants who perform well in this course and receive the APO
certificate will be given preference, on a merit basis, for selection to
attend the follow-up face-to-face multicountry APO project, provided
their nominations are received through the concerned NPOs and slots are
3. Notes 2 are applicable only to participants from APO member countries. Participants from nonmember countries are welcome to take the course for self-improvement, though they will not get an opportunity to attend the follow-up face-to-face multicountry APO projects.